You are here

Photo by Michael Marsland

When students arrive on campus for their term at Yale, many people will be ready and willing to offer advice about academic choices. It is our hope and expectation that a student will make use of Yale’s many advising resources to plan their program of study. It is in the nature of a liberal arts education to ask questions and students have an important role to play in seeking advice.

Y‐VISP Academic Adviser

Y-VISP academic advisers can be members of the Y-VISP committee, Yale faculty and staff, and teaching fellows and post-docs with similar academic interests. Each Y-VISP student is assigned an adviser with whom they discuss their goals for their time at Yale and the classes they are considering taking. The adviser offers guidance on constructing a sensible course schedule, and helps Y-VISP students think through their plans, directing them to relevant resources. A student does not need to go to these advising meetings with a settled plan; it is perfectly appropriate for a student to be considering six to ten courses during shopping period.

It is up to students to pave the path for the relationship they'd like to have with their adviser, whether that be only meeting during course selection, or meeting during the semester to converse. Lauren and Calvin are available to meet with all Y-VISP students at any time throughout the term, regardless of whether or not they are the student's assigned adviser. We encourage a student to arrange a meeting with their adviser around midterm to discuss how their courses are going.

Students should note that advisers are not experts on every course or department at Yale. Specific questions about particular courses or requirements should be directed to the relevant academic department or to the student's residential college dean. 

Y-VISP Peer Liaisons

Y-VISP Peer Liaisons are Yale College undergraduate students whose role is to support the Y-VISP students during their time at Yale. The Y-VISP Peer Liaisons participate in and manage various aspects of the Y-VISP orientation, in an effort to ease the students’ transition to Yale. During the academic year, Y-VISP Peer Liaisons host regular dinners in the residential colleges, hold study breaks, and coordinate many Y-VISP programs that take place on and off campus. The Y-VISP Peer Liaisons will provide academic advice from a student perspective, based on their experiences (Y-VISP students should contact their academic adviser or dean for specific academic advising), as well as advice on getting involved at Yale.

Other advising at Yale

Residential College Dean

Yale's residential college deans provide academic and personal guidance to students. The dean can answer questions about academic requirements and connect a student to other advising resources on campus. Residential college deans live in the residential college and have an office there. If a student has a question to which they cannot find an answer, or if a student needs advice they cannot find elsewhere, they should consult their dean.

Resident Fellows

Resident fellows are Yale faculty or staff members who live in apartments in the residential colleges or on the Old Campus. They work with the heads of college and deans to provide supplemental oversight and support for students.

Peer Liaisons

In addition to the Y-VISP Peer Liaisons, there are still more Peer Liaisons at Yale. These non-Y-VISP Peer Liaisons are upper level students who help connect Yale students to the programs and services of Yale’s cultural and community resource centers, including the Afro‐American Cultural Center, Asian American Cultural Center, Chaplain’s Office, Latino Cultural Center, Office of LGBTQ Resources, Native American Cultural Center and the Office of International Students and Scholars

Departmental Advising 

Each academic department has a director of undergraduate studies (DUS), with whom a student can discuss the department’s course offering and major requirements. Contact information for each DUS is printed by department in the Yale College Programs of Study, and a separate list of DUSes is also posted on the web. Large departments may also have departmental representatives in the residential colleges; the Yale College Program of Study (YCPS) lists the names of these representatives.